In the process of change and progress there are moments of celebration and times of distress. Too much change within the systems, its supports and the expectations can take a toll. Learning how to effectively lead and support through the dance of change and progress is a dance that requires expertise, understanding and awareness.
Often the struggle is in seeing the potential in the change and progress that can happen, and pushing for that change and progress when those joining in the journey don’t yet have the same view.
How can a team move forward in a positive way to do the dance of change and progress TOGETHER?
I have been reflecting on my own practices to improve my approach in supporting my team as we earnestly work through the challenges that come with change and progress. There are three areas I have determined must be present in my own mindset if I am going to best serve my team:
- We ARE moving forward… be PATIENT
- Keep focused on the work at hand- the harvest will come
- Don’t worry about the pace of the progress and change- when you reach it, however long it takes, it will be worth it
- There are seasons of life, and things out of our control; trust your team and be optimistic
- Be POSITIVE
- Don’t complain or look for what isn’t done; focus on what is done well
- Be intentional in your work/relationships; keep silent and let the work and others speak to the progress being made
- Keep a perpetually optimistic outlook- perspective is everything
- Be TRUE
- Trust the process and your team
- Live with integrity- build, foster and maintain trust with your team
I realize that the points mentioned are not new, nor something that is unique. However, it is something I needed to reflect upon and humbly share with others. My hope is that I improve the dance I am doing with my team and through patience, positivity and truth effectively support them in their process of change and progress.
How is your team doing the dance of change and progress with you?